*NOTE: Starting in 2020 with Vol. 24, the SSR Journal shifted primarily to Online Only, enabling the reduction of Membership fees. For those who would still like to receive the Print Version, there is an option at checkout to add it to your membership for $35.
Membership in the Society runs from January 1 to December 31. Members are expected to pay their dues during the last quarter prior to the beginning of the membership year. Members who fail to pay their dues by February 15 of a membership year will be dropped from membership.
Please contact Sean Day (email@example.com) with questions about membership.
Regular member: Eligible for member pricing at annual conference and receives online access to the Society’s journal Scientific Studies of Reading. ($100, $135 with Print Journal).
Emeritus member: An active member who is retired. Eligible for Emeritus pricing at annual conference and receives online access to the Society’s journal Scientific Studies of Reading. ($50, $85 with Print Journal).
Student member: Full time student or post-doctoral fellow at a university. Eligible for student pricing at the conference and receives online access to the Society’s journal Scientific Studies of Reading. ($40, $75 with Print Journal).
Voting: The criteria for designation as a voting member is listed below. If you are eligible and would like to apply for voting member status, please complete the application form [PDF] and send it, along with the journal articles required, to Lesly Wade-Woolley (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Official Criteria for Voting Membership
- Applicant must submit an application for voting membership by June 1.
- Applicant must attend the conference and be an author on a paper or poster for at least two years prior to applying.
- An application must include three research articles (published or in press) on reading and its related areas from a peer reviewed journal (like Scientific Studies of Reading, Journal of Educational Psychology, Reading Research Quarterly) with the applicant as the sole author, first author, or a co-author. The articles will need to be in PDF format. If the applicant is not the sole author or first author of a publication, please provide a brief summary of the applicant’s contribution to the work.
- A majority of the membership committee must agree that this article constitutes evidence that the applicant understands the principles of science and knows how to apply these principles to reading research, with approximately the same level of competence as a Charter Member of SSSR.
- A majority of the Board of Directors must vote to approve the application for membership. The Board makes decisions on voting membership once a year, at the annual meeting. Therefore, applications must be submitted at least two months before an annual meeting in order for a decision to be made at that meeting. Applications received after this date will be voted upon at the following annual meeting. All applicants will be informed by email shortly after this decision process has been completed.
To apply for Voting membership with the Society for the Scientific Studies of Reading, please use the link below.